Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Maitland River Shawl

Earlier this year, in the spring, I was contacted by the North Perth Arts and Culture Council, and asked if I wanted to create an art piece for their upcoming fundraiser.  They requested that this piece represent at least one of the five senses.  I agreed to submit a one of a kind knitted piece for the auction.

I journeyed to ask what piece was needed for the auction, and received information that described a triangular shawl with trees, and Queen Snakes in the design.  A bunch of wavy rayed lampmussels also played a part in what this shawl was to become.

I had never created a piece this way before.  I had never journeyed to find out information about what I was going to create.  This is a very potent way of creating a powerful piece.

This was a very tedious piece, requiring approximately 170 hours of my time, and much of my patience and grounding as I always strived to remember the purpose of this piece.

Here is the healing story of this piece:

Most of your body is water.

You are a walking, talking piece of the river that you drink from.
Taste the purity of your water.
See how clean your water flows.
Smell how fresh your moisture is.
Hear how your water gently moves around your body.
Connect with how beautiful you are.
Melt your ice inside, and love your water.

This piece was a continuation of the Maitland River Walk.  It was another way of sharing the lessons learned during the June 189 km walk of the Maitland River.  Incorporating the five senses as well with the teaching was a fabulous extension of the teaching.

The deadline for the project was quickly coming, and going, without this project anywhere near being finished.  However, it was ready before the auction. 

I dropped it off at the home of an organizer, Cathy, and she brilliantly set to work figuring out how to display it in the best way.  I had been told that because the piece was so late it would not be able to be auctioned in the live auction, and that it had to be at a silent table.  The retail value of this piece was $2000.  I was asked for a reserve bid, and stated that the reserve bid was $1500. 

I left it not knowing what was going to happen.  I felt that it was very likely that the shawl would be returned to me, and that I would be selling it myself, which wouldn't be such a bad thing either, I supposed.

The day after the auction, I was contacted regarding the shawl.  I was told that it was auctioned at the live auction, and sold for $1500.  It was a weird moment for me.  I was excited that someone had found value in the shawl, and that my work was being recognized as an important part of my community.  Also, it was very helpful for the organization that had asked for that donation, they were going to be able to cover their operating expenses a little easier now.  I wondered how it was going to be used, will she use it as a shawl, or hang it as an art piece? 

Now, I am wondering how I can work with the momentum that was created by the North Perth Arts and Culture Council, and perhaps make my living as a fibre artist.  What would the next steps be?





No comments:

Post a Comment